10/26/09

This Old Recliner

I have Doug's old recliner in my bedroom, and some days when I need to I curl up in and finger the tie with his Bible verse and let my memories take me back to the past. This chair has a story; which I'd like to share with you.
Doug's lung cancer was discovered because of a persistant cough which subsided after his lung was removed. However, there were times when something would irritate him and he would have periods of deep, loud coughing. We elevated the head of the bed to help; but when it was bad he couldn't sleep at all laying down. One day I looked at the adds on Craigslist for a used recliner for him. I jotted down several phone numbers and this chair is the first one I called on. A pleasant sounding woman named Polly asked right away if the chair was for me or for someone else so she could tell if it was an appropriate size. I explained that my husband had lung cancer and I wanted something he could sleep in when struggling with a cough. I was astonished when she told me that her husband had also had lung cancer and his had gone to the brain. I told her that Doug's lung cancer had also gone to the brain. She said her dear husband had gone to heaven over four years before and she was finally ready to part with his chair. She invited me to come take a look at it and to hear how God had taken care of her and her family while he was sick and since his death.
I arrived at her apartment with tissues in each hand; prepared for a tear jerking visit. It was not. Polly's voice was strong and her faith evident as she shared how God had brought the two of them together; his struggles with this disease; the things she had learned, and God's provision for every day. She gave me suggestions for caring for Doug and offered to help at any time in the future if I should ever give her a call.
Of course I bought the chair. I had to have it more for the miracle of the meeting than for any other reason. I left with a new song in my heart and an amazement that God could use such an ordinary thing as a Craigslist ad to do something so extraordinary!!!
I haven't talked to Polly since. I think of her whenever I see the chair. Two men with lung cancer slept in that chair. Both were loved,both fought hard, both loved the Lord, both died young, both are in glory. I wonder if they have met.
I have Doug's old recliner in my bedroom; no ordinary chair.

2 comments:

  1. wow! thanks for sharing the story behind the chair - a very special chair! God is sooo good to give us those pockets of delight even in the middle of a very hard thing! I think it's His way of reminding us that He's aware and in control!!
    I love wearing my mom's big white fluffy bathrobe - it's like wearing a hug from her! And I have one of my dad's last bottles of aftershave in my medicine cabinet - every once in awhile I need to smell that ol' Aqua Velva scent:-) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful Chris! Brought tears to my eyes, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete