9/23/09

Cancer Buddies

I am thinking of Jim VanSolkema; a dear man who only crossed our path about a year ago at the Lacks Cancer Center. We were actually introduced by a mutual friend. What strikes me is the depth of conversation among the terminally ill. Pleasantries are exchanged, and chuckles welcome of course, taking some of the serious tone away momentarily, but instinctively we are drawn to weighty matters. We share details of diagnosis and treatments and pain to enlist their support in the fight of our lives. If we have nothing else in common the desire to fight this horrible disease is enough to draw us together. Eternity is on our minds and we bear our souls and share our hearts with those we know briefly but deeply; for we share life's greatest sorrows. Deep in our hearts we feel what those outside the cancer world cannot understand. I will remember you Jim all my days, for the time we journeyed over steep hills and thru dark valleys together . It has been my priviledge to be your prayer warrior, and now I focus on lifting up those you have left behind before the throne of grace that they may find strength in their time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment